A winter visit to the Beehaus
|The Beehaus in the afternoon winter sun|
|Slab of fondant and the Oxalic acid treatment|
At this time of year the bees should be clustering so the plan was to raise the roof quickly and syringe 5ml of oxalic acid in the gaps between the frames. I did get a bit of a fright when I lifted the roof as the bees were close to the top of the frames, which I didn't expect. Then again, it has been rather mild lately.
|Far from clustering down inside the hive, the bees were on top of the frames|
By the end of the oxalic acid application more bees had come to the top. I didn't want to disturb them any longer so quickly closed up and placed the fondant over the hole in the cover board.
|The slab of fondant placed over the hole in the cover board|
I actually want the weather to get colder so that I can move the bees into my new garden. I moved house two months ago and the plan is to put the Beehaus at the end of the garden. I haven't relocated them as yet because I don't want any bees flying out in the mild weather and not having a house to fly back into. But I think either way, I'll move them in a few weekends time. I'm really excited to have the bees at home.