The sun's out so the bees are out



Last week it really felt like spring so I headed over to the hives to see what was happening. Both colonies are flying strongly with pollen being brought in. This is a great sign because pollen is protein for baby bees which means the queen is laying. Yay! I helped them out by placing some more fondant (basically, the stuff you get on Christmas cake) onto the frames for extra energy.


I can't go into the hives just yet as it's still a bit chilly. Generally, the rule is that if you can comfortably wear a t-shirt then you're good to go. It's not feeling quite like that yet, so will give it a week or so. 


In the meantime we're building new beehive stands. When I say we - I mean my husband. My son helped too by holding the screws.  

Comments

Popular Posts